Obnam repo size with .sql dump files seem too big

S. B. sb56637 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 16:28:03 GMT 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm using and very much liking Obnam on my webserver to do backups of my
SQL database dumps.

However, it seems that the size of my Obnam repository is increasing far
too much despite minimal changes in my databases. For example, the first
time I backed up my database .sql dump files, my Obnam repo was 582M. Then,
just to check, I immediately deleted the .sql dumps and re-dumped the
databases and ran Obnam again. Now the Obnam repo size went up to 794M. I
immediately ran the same test again, and the repo size went up to 1006M.
The database was still running and I'm sure it slightly increased in size,
but we're talking about kilobytes of difference. Is this normal for
virtually identical data sets to cause so much additional overhead in
Obnam? And is there anything I can do to make my sql dumps more
de-duplicateable? I should mention that they are un-compressed dumps, and
in Obnam I am using "deflate" compression.

Thanks a lot for the help!