launching a PDF from a link

Jim Nagel netsurf at abbeypress.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 00:54:39 BST 2018

Is there a way of causing Netsurf to actually open a PDF, rather than
offering to download it, when the user clicks a link to the PDF?

When you click the link for a Jpeg (or various other types of file),
the file opens immediately.  Why does PDF behave differently?  What is
the mechanism involved?

And why does the PDF link cause BOTH the download dialogue AND a blank
web page to appear?

I'm using RiscOS 5.23 and at the moment Netsurf #4342.
(I presume things would differ for, say, Amiga instead of RiscOS.)

--
Jim Nagel                            www.archivemag.co.uk