UTF-8 processing

Bernard Boase b.boase at bcs.org
Fri Jul 14 13:06:56 BST 2017

On 14 Jul, chris.young at unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk typed:

> I don't know if it's a known problem, but certainly the first form is
> incorrect. The semicolon is required to separate the parameters.

Thanks, that's interesting, though websites I've so far looked at
aren't consistent on this point. The particular originator's email
headers include:

suggesting that it's the Apple software that is not to standard in
coding the <meta> tag, but that seems surprising.

> If NetSurf doesn't know the encoding it will assume ASCII/ISO-8859-1,
> or maybe default character encoding of the OS.

Yes, but in this case I think Netsurf might be expected to acknowledge
the charset attribute, so I've posted bug report 0002549 to
http://bugs.netsurf-browser.org/mantis/ in case developers can throw
any light on the issue.

--
Bernard