New Netsurf - improved Javascript stability

george greenfield george.greenfield at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Sep 29 17:58:11 BST 2015

In message <550abce24acvjazz at waitrose.com>
          Chris Newman <cvjazz at waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article <fae9b50a55.jim at abbeypress.net>,
>    Jim Nagel <netsurf at abbeypress.co.uk> wrote:
>> Dave Higton  wrote on 21 Sep:
>
>> > I downloaded the latest CI build of NS yesterday.  There hasn't been
>> > one for quite a while.  I noticed that it doesn't crash when opening a
>> > sport page of the BBC News website, for example.  This is a big
>> > improvement.
>> > I think we're seeing evidence of big changes within Netsurf.
>
>> Anybody concur?
>
>> I'm on #2935 (Aug 25) and have been suffering a great many sites that
>> time out with no display at all.  Sometimes hourglassing goes on
>> forever and there's nothing for it but Alt-Break to kill Netsurf.
>> Some of these cases will succeed if I relaunch Netsurf, switch off
>> Javascript from its iconbar menu, and only then reload the site.
>
> Same here with #2964

I recently upgraded to #2964 from #2953 and AFAICS the
javascript-enabled behaviour and functionality* is identical in both,
and I too have the endless hourglassing behaviour unless JS is
disabled. I don't mean to be downbeat or decry the efforts of the
developers - NetSurf is a fine lightweight browser, better than any
RISC OS alternative that I've tried**, and no doubt the developers
would be the first to agree that javascript functionality is very much
a work in progress.

(* virtually non-existent)
(** that doesn't include the recent Otter port)

--
George