puzzling email

Vince M Hudd vince at softrock.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 16:02:36 BST 2011

John-Mark Bell <jmb at netsurf-browser.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 07:37 +0100, Brian Bailey wrote:

[HTML from an email renders without the BMP graphic]

> OK. So this has nothing to do with BMP images at all. The bitmap you sent
> me renders fine here.

> What is happening is that Pluto fails to rewrite the image reference in
> the HTML document, so NetSurf attempts to fetch a file that doesn't exist,
> and instead builds an error page, which then generates the BadType report.

It's a long time since I used Pluto, but my recollection is that it doesn't
treat HTML attachments any differently to any other type of attachment: You
double click on it, a temporary copy is saved and that's filer_run.

It doesn't parse the HTML in any way to see if any other attached files are
needed by it, so they aren't saved alongside it - and therefore, as you say,
the images references aren't rewritten.

The bottom line, for users of Pluto, is that if you want to see attached
images displayed in the HTML, you'll need to save and manually edit. (Remote
images should be fine, of course).

--
Soft Rock Software:                   http://www.softrock.co.uk
Vince M Hudd:                         http://misc.vinceh.com/about-vinceh/