Generic 'font' styling in CSS

Harriet Bazley lists at orange.wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Fri May 27 03:16:59 BST 2011

On 26 May 2011 as I do recall,
          Michael Drake  wrote:

> In article <95fd7ad951.harriet at blueyonder.co.uk>,
>    Harriet Bazley <lists at orange.wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > According to my reading of Chris Terran's StrongHelp CSS manual,
>
> Best to use the spec.  You can also use a CSS validator.

    The properties that can be set, are (in order): "font-style
    font-variant font-weight font-size/line-height font-family"

    The font-size and font-family values are required. If one of the
    other values are missing, the default values will be inserted, if
    any.

http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_font_font.asp

How awkward; I don't normally want to fiddle around with the font
*size*...
So what I want is "100%", presumably, to avoid altering it.

> You must have the font-size then the font-familly after the other ones.
> You omit the font-size.

So, <p style="font: oblique bold 100% sans-serif"> should work...
and yes, it does.   :-)

--
Harriet Bazley                     ==  Loyaulte me lie ==

The only rose without thorns is friendship.