Incorrect character display

Bernard Boase b.boase at bcs.org
Tue Jul 26 19:27:12 BST 2011

I get a regular email from BBC Music Magazine which normally has both
text and an HTML attachment. The HTML version of the email is readable
by either

     - (A) opening the HTML attachment, or
     - (B) clicking on a URL in the Text portion of the email

Since 25 May 2011 certain top-bit set characters no longer display
correctly via (A) while still displaying OK via (B).

So, for example, where the HTML has "’" (B) displays this correctly
as a single closing quote (apostrophe), but (A) displays the literal
string "’".

I notice that as of 25 May, their HTML <head> tag no longer includes
this code:
     charset=UTF-8">
     <title>BBC Music Magazine</title>
     charset=UTF-8">
     <title>Untitled Document</title>

The whole page looks pretty trad HTML with no use of CSS. So my
question is how come Netsurf displays the two identical versions (A)
and (B) differently? And indeed if I save out the correctly displayed
(B) version and load the file back into Netsurf the problem reappears.

Thoughts?

--
Bernard