NS2.1 Unicode font library could not be initialized

David J. Ruck druck at druck.org.uk
Fri Jul 10 10:40:39 BST 2009

Tim Hill wrote:
> In article <1247166925.32517.183.camel at duiker>, John-Mark Bell
> <jmb at netsurf-browser.org> wrote:
>
>> There are many useful state-change notifications which are only sent to
>> modules. The font path changing is one of them.
>
>> Aside from this, making RUfl (and its clients) able to handle this
>> information is decidedly non-trivial. Personally, I've better things to
>> be doing with my time.
>
> Fair enough. As I have said elsewhere, I don't find font scanning too
> intrusive personally and frankly though it would perhaps be more complete
> to include such functionality there would be little or no benefit in
> scanning many fonts used on an ad-hoc basis.

The RUFL scanning process is currently too long to be performed as a
response to font path change notifications. It would have to be altered
to perform scanning in the background in order not to lock out the user
at arbitrary times (i.e. other than wen having started a RUFL using
application such as NetSurf).

Cheers
---David

Email: druck at druck.org.uk