[Netsurf-develop] How to handle lying file extensions?

Darren Salt ds at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 21 18:15:17 BST 2007

I demand that Simon Smith may or may not have written...

> I occasionally encounter files of one filetype, named as if they were
> another. For example,

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/picture_gallery/07/asia_pac_inside_north_korea/img/10.jpg
>
> is a .gif with a jpg extension, as are pictures 1-9 in that series.

FWIW, this would be fine were its MIME type reported as image/gif; however,
assuming for a moment that this is so, the browser would still need to cope
with the misnaming in a locally-saved copy (not a cached copy, since that
would still have the correct MIME type).

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt    | d @ youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk | nr. Ashington, | Toon
| RISC OS, Linux | s   zap,tartarus,org            | Northumberland | Army
| + Use more efficient products. Use less.          BE MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT.

The amount of work done varies inversely with the time spent in the office.