[Netsurf-develop] Secure http for NetSurf?

John-Mark Bell jmb202 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Sep 23 17:58:55 BST 2005

Please reply to the list, not me direct, thanks.

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, cbonsall wrote:

> John-Mark Bell wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, M.I. Abdullah wrote:
> >>
> >>Trying to get to WebMail (run by the university) using NetSurf it is
> >>possible to login due to the lack (?) of secure http (https, SSL, shttp ! ).
> >>Can manage with Oregano and ANT (after loading the SSL module).
> >>
> >>Is there any "secure" http for NetSurf?
> >
> > The full build has had https support for ages. What exactly is the error
> > message (if any) that you get? > John.
>
> I have a similar problem with the NetSurf on an Iyonix. Trying to access
> the University of Edinburgh's staff webmail service results in:
>
> Page error
>
> Sorry, NetSurf was unable to display this page
> SSL certificate problem, verify that the CA cert is OK. Details:
> error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate
> verify failed
>
> Yet I get access via O2 and FireFox.

NetSurf is very strict about verifying the authenticity of SSL
certificates. If this check fails, it will give an error such as the one
above. You can disable certificate verification by changing the
ssl_verify_certificates option in the Choices file from 1 to 0. (Note that
this really, really, isn't advisable).

John.