[Netsurf-develop] Accented chars lost

Christian Ludlam chris at recoil.org
Thu Jun 30 16:17:11 BST 2005

On 29 Jun John-Mark Bell wrote:

> My initial intention was to provide a mechanism by which the Messages  file
> could specify the character set that its contents are in and then  have
> NetSurf convert the contents to UTF-8 on loading (or simply dictate  that
> Messages files should be UTF-8 encoded). This fixes the  status bar issue
> perfectly. However, it breaks the text in the menus  (specifically, the
> double up arrow representing the Shift key is lost). I can't see any way
> around this situation (actually, there is one, but it  would only work on
> RISC OS 5, and it would break the menus of every other  application).

I'd've thought that should work. The messages files should all be UTF-8
encoded, using the double up arrow character the wimp uses for menus
(U+21E7). Then convert that to &90 when converting to the system alphabet,
unless it's UTF-8 where you leave it alone. That mapping won't be in the
International module's encodings tables, so you'll have to check for it
separately.

--
Christian Ludlam
chris at recoil.org