[Netsurf-develop] OT: Help! Netsurf Won't Start Anymore

Dave triffcat at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Dec 21 12:47:09 GMT 2005

In article <gemini.irufpm02x2nwg02qw.druck at druck.org.uk>,
   David J. Ruck <druck at druck.org.uk> wrote:

>  Dave <triffcat at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> > In article <43A7CEA6.40105 at oracle.com>,
> >    James Sargent <james.sargent at oracle.com> wrote:
> >
> > [Snip]
> >
> > > Sadly, not to be recommend for anybody running Sibelius. If its
> > > directory is removed from Scrap, Sibelius needs to be de- and
> > > re-installed.
> >
> > > Rgds, James
> >
> > Another piece of crapware, interfering with a users setup.

> A bit harsh as it was considered one of RISC OS's killer applications
> until it buggered off to Windows.

Maybe it was a killer app, but I have a thing about software authors
putting protection in their apps that buggers up or interferes with the
basic functioning of a machine.

> No program should rely on the contents of !Scrap being persistent, but if
> they do it can be worked around when setting up a RAM copy. Just ensure
> that the template !Scrap which is copied on to RAM disc contains the data
> from Sibelius, and also NetSurf's rufl cache to save time when its run.
> This data changes infrequently so will generally not need copying back to
> the template at the end of every session, but the user has to be aware of
> the circumstances when it does.

> Cheers
> ---Dave

Your last para is a useful bit 'O info, thanks.

Cheers and have a good Crimbo.
Dave S

PS: I've been having a moan elsewhere (PC NGs) about scabby applications
that force you to install a particular version of MS-Internet Explorer
otherwise the app for which you've paid money won't either install, or if
it does install, won't work without it.

GD