[Netsurf-develop] Empty menu

David J. Ruck druck at druck.org.uk
Fri Dec 2 22:45:25 GMT 2005

On 2 Dec 2005 Anton <antonm at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> Most things seem okay, but NetSurf's menus are all blank -- just
> skinny little white boxes with a smattering of right-arrows down the
> right-hand side.  Web page content seems to display okay, for the most
> part, and dialogue boxes are okay too.  All the other RO applications
> which I've tested so far are okay, and their menus display correctly.

Download a new version, you are probably missing
!NetSurf.Resources.en.Messages

> I have in my Netsurf folder a file called "nsfonts/zip" which has a
> TAR icon, but for which !SparkFS opens a blank window (TAR module
> enabled) and which WinRAR on a PC announces to be corrupt.  I don't
> know where I got it, so do not know how to get a good copy. In fact, I
> don't even know if it's the culprit.

Sounds like your own file, but if its blank its probably been corrupted.

> I suspect something might be missing or walloped in !Boot.Resources,
> but not sure where to look, if at all.
>
> I would be most grateful if someone might please point me in the right
> direction?

How exactly have you managed to restore the disc? Even if the directory
structure is in tack it shoulds if contents of files may have been
overwritten. In which case you are better off reformatting and recovering
everything from backups, otherwise you'll be finding broken apps and damaged
data files for months, and if they get in to your backups, you are stuffed.
Of course if you've been unwise enough not to take backups, you'll have to
download and reinstall all applications, and check every one of your data
files for damage.

Follow ups off list please.

Cheers
---Dave