[Netsurf-develop] Netsurf on RO 3.1

John-Mark Bell jmb202 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Mar 13 20:49:19 GMT 2004

Please keep the list CCed, it means others can answer too ;)

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Jess Hampshire wrote:

> Hi
>
> In message
> <Pine.LNX.4.44.0403131236001.14288-100000 at tarrant.ecs.soton.ac.uk> you
> wrote:
>

> > > With respect to the memory requirements, could they be reduced by
> > > abstracting the image support to a plugin?
> >
> > This isn't really sensible. We have the facility to produce a build
> > without any image support at all, however.
>
> Is this because of the way NS is built or is it that Image support
> wouldn't be possible as a normal plug-in?

Sure it would be possible, it just doesn't seem particularly sensible,
especially give that NetSurf's plugin handling is horribly broken right
now. Also, it's a lot of extra programming effort for very little
advantage, given we can turn it off in the build

> > I've uploaded a build without any SSL support (ie https URLs won't work)
> > to http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~jmb202/riscos/netsurf/ns-nossl.zip
> >
> > Can you try this and see if it's small enough to run under 3.1?
>
> It runs, just, but bombs out when it runs out of memory.

Right, fine. I assume this is on a 4Meg machine?

> Am I right in thinking that the two values in the wimpslot are how much
> an app needs and how much it would like?

Umm...

> Would it be possible for NS to be made to work such that if the full
> memory is available it runs normally, but if there's not enough disables
> ssl and/or images? (Meaning only one build rather thant 2 or 3)

Given that it's just a matter of which build target we use, it's not a
major issue producing more than one build.

SSL is just a library we link against, it isn't actually used unless you
access a site which uses https, so toggling it off at runtime would make
no difference to the amount of memory NetSurf requires.

Image support could be toggled at runtime, as the amount of memory it uses
depends on the images it downloads. It could also be removed from the
build.