[Netsurf-develop] Re: Form buttons

Stefan Bellon sbellon at sbellon.de
Sun Jun 27 21:53:14 BST 2004

John-Mark Bell wrote:
>  On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Stefan Bellon wrote:

> > 1) Wouldn't it be nice if it could go into the distribution so that
> >    all people benefit from it?

> Possibly, though the way Fresco changed the mouse pointer always
> annoyed me ;)

It's a long time I used Fresco. Did Fresco have any "feature" in
pointer changing?

> > 2) I didn't look at the source of the web site. Now I realize that
> >    the element in question is in fact of input type hidden. And
> >    adding "cursor: pointers;" to the "input[type=hidden]" does not
> >    solve it.
>                      ^
> I suspect that removing the "s" will fix that ;)

No, sorry, this was a typo in my email. In the CSS file I left out the
"s" and it didn't work. The line I added to CSS was:

    input[type=hidden] { cursor: pointer; }

> > > This already happens for submit and reset form inputs so
> > > shouldn't be difficult to add for buttons.
> >
> > Is this configurable via the above CSS file as well or do you have
> > to alter the source code of NetSurf.

> It's a source code change and, having looked at the source, it's a
> bit harder than I initially thought :( It may be feasible to add a
> CSS-style property (eg ns-status: href; or something) but I'm not
> entirely sure that's a particularly sensible suggestion.

Why? We already had one vulnerability in NetSurf against URL spoofing.
Showing the action that happens when clicking something is in fact
something I would make a MUST for all browsers. The browser should
display what it /will/ do when you click on something, not something
that the page designer wants you to see. Adding this feature to NetSurf
directly increases security for users.

> > Is there documentation of the CSS file somewhere?

> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/ would be a sensible starting point ;)
> I'm fairly sure NetSurf's default CSS is based on Appendix D

> There's nothing fancy about it, it's just bog standard CSS.

Ah, ok. I'm a bit new to CSS. I will have to dig into that. So, I can
specify in that CSS file whatever I want (according to the CSS
standard). The properties that NetSurf supports are those listed in the
CSS TODO list, right? So, within those limits, you can configure
whatevery you like in that file?

--
Stefan Bellon