[Netsurf-develop] File downloads

James Bursa bursa at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 18 16:14:54 GMT 2003

On Monday 17 November 2003 19:36, fa044826 wrote:
> I was wondering if the file download mechanism could not reverse its
> actions, i.e. force the user to drag the file icon before fetching its
> contents (as Browse does) instead of after fetching its contents.

I think the most user-friendly solution is to allow the user to drag the file
icon at any time during the fetch. Any data received before the destination
is chosen could be buffered in memory or on disc.

This will need changes to the fetch system as well as the gui.

> I was also wondering if filetype mapping could be attempted from filename
> extension instead with a fallback on the Content-Type header when no match
> is found.

I think the correct thing would be to do it the other way round, only trying
the extension if there is no Content-Type.

> It then puts the filename
> in a Content-Disposition http header (can't remember the RFC which deals
> with it) to suggest to the browser (both IE and Nescape seem to support it)
> the filename under which to save the file.

Shouldn't be difficult to implement :). It's described in 2616 (HTTP/1.1) and
2183.

James