[Netsurf-develop] Re: Netsurf tables stress-test URL

Theo Markettos theo at markettos.org.uk
Sun Nov 9 18:13:08 GMT 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 09:26:43PM +0000, Theo Markettos wrote:
> http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html takes about 20 minutes to
> render.

I think it's something to do with NetSurf's CPU balancing.  I thought the
reason it took so long before was because I had an animated GIF in an
offscreen Browse window that was eating 40% of CPU according to TaskUsage (I
had about 100 Browse windows open).  Now I've closed that my Browse CPU is
negligible, but a new copy of NetSurf didn't pick up on it.  I've just tried
it and the CPU loads for about 10 mins of it trying to render the page were:

browse 6%
ViNCe 4%
Netsurf 8%
and the rest of the machine idle
(netsurf's just crashed, so I didn't get a total processing time).

Trying again has the same effect - this time it completed in 766.94s.  This
is with a NetSurf snapshot I downloaded on 4 Nov.  FWIW I am on dialup, but
the page came out of my local squid cache, so download time was less than
10s (rendering time was similar if the cache was disabled).  A list of the
tasks etc on my machine at the moment can be found at
http://www.markettos.org.uk/private/running2.html

Perhaps an option to force it to take more CPU?

Thanks
Theo

[grumble; SF's mailing list archives don't give Message-IDs so this won't
thread properly, apologies]

Theo Markettos                 theo at markettos.org.uk
Clare Hall, Cambridge          theom at chiark.greenend.org.uk
CB3 9AL, UK                    http://www.markettos.org.uk/