[Netsurf-develop] Netsurf tables stress-test URL

John M Bell jmb202 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Nov 4 22:23:21 GMT 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, The Doctor wrote:

> In message <20031104212643.GA1007 at chiark.greenend.org.uk>
>           Theo Markettos <theo at markettos.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > I've just been playing with Netsurf - looks pretty good.

Thanks ;)

> > The main problem
> > was the speed - even on a SA233 it's not very quick.  I'm not complaining;
> > I'm sure you'll sort it out over time, but I thought I'd provide a
> > pathological case to add to your test suite:
> > http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html takes about 20 minutes to
> > render.  It takes a few minutes on Browse (and you don't have much control
> > whilst it's going on), but as least in Browse you can see the part-rendered
> > page.
> >
> Something very wrong there Theo.

Indeed, that is very slow

> It took 56 seconds on my machine from start to finish.
> Ok, I have a Kinetic and broadband but even so...

You had me worried there for a minute. I just went to that page on my
Iyonix and it took around 170s. However, upon investigation (and killing
Messenger as it was eating my CPU usage), I managed to reduce that to 32s.
With logging turned on, that can be interpreted as about 51s.

Bear in mind, however, that the time NetSurf shows includes the time to
fetch the document and any related files (images etc.) so it does depend
on your net connection somewhat. 20 minutes is a very long time :(

Similarly, James Bursa informs me that it took 200s on his A7000+

Not much use to you, I know :(

John