[Netsurf-develop] PNG improvements

James Bursa bursa at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 30 18:19:03 BST 2003

On Monday 30 June 2003 17:55, Andrew Duffell wrote:
> The logo on http://mysober.co.uk/news/ doen't appear in NetSurf.  It was
> created using Spr2PNG and compressed using PNGCrush.

The image has the wrong Content-Type:

  $ curl -iI http://mysober.co.uk/news/Graphix/logo.png
  HTTP/1.1 200 OK
  Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:08:49 GMT
  Server: Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer

Although we should guess the type when there's no Content-Type header, I'm
very reluctant to add code to fix this kind of problem. The HTTP/1.1
specification says:

   Any HTTP/1.1 message containing an entity-body SHOULD include a
   Content-Type header field defining the media type of that body. If
   and only if the media type is not given by a Content-Type field, the
   recipient MAY attempt to guess the media type via inspection of its
   content and/or the name extension(s) of the URI used to identify the
   resource. If the media type remains unknown, the recipient SHOULD
   treat it as type "application/octet-stream".

so overriding the Content-Type header would be against the specification.

James