[Netsurf-develop] Writable icons

John-Mark Bell jmb202 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Dec 24 03:27:25 GMT 2003

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, John Duffell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Netsurf looks pretty good, I'd probably use it most of the time if the text
> was bigger and you could use cookies :)

Font size may be user-configurable. Have a look at the bottom of
!NetSurf.Resources.CSS and play with the css. Cookies are on the TODO
list.

> I was wondering how about using real writable icons so we can use ctrl-u/cut
> and paste with the facilities built into RO?  Admittedly that may cause
> problems with colouring the border and text a different colour, and different
> border widths, but maybe it could use the normal icon unless it needed
> different borders.

Initially, we did use RO writable icons, but they aren't really flexible
enough (as you've acknowledged above). The likelihood is that, once the
CSS border properties are implemented, writable icons will look RO-like,
but be rendered via CSS. Obviously, this would require us to implement
clipboard support, but I see this as a minor issue in comparison with the
amount of flexibility we would gain by not using the inbuilt icons.

I do, of course reserve the right to be wrong on this. I expect James
Bursa will be along shortly to shoot me down in flames ;)

> The history thing seems great,

Glad you like it ;)

> but I'd agree that it eeds to be made more RISC OSy, probably the most
> appropriate would be Select/Adjust for back/forwards and maybe Menu
> would make something transient to appear.

Yes, we're open to suggestions ;)

> It wouldn't be possible to do what's needed with a RO menu, so perhaps
> something (looking like) a simple web page would be intuitive.  The
> scroll bars system is "odd" but as a prototype it's good, fine.

Indeed, the history window in its current incarnation is very much a
prototype and most definitely needs improving before it makes it into a
final release version.

> As I say, it's mainly ok, I won't bother saying too much at this stage since
> it's in heavy development anyway.

More contributors are always welcome ;)

Thanks for your comments,

John