[Netsurf-develop] Thoughts and planning

Phil Mellor phil at mellor123.freeuk.com
Wed Jul 31 18:36:08 BST 2002

In message <96295b5e4b.james at a7000.strcprstskrzkrk.co.uk> you wrote:

> > [OSLib]
> <http://www.mk-net.demon.co.uk/oslib/630/>, but it's 900k, so try CD unless
> it's a very old version.

Hmmm. I appear to have version 4.3, from the old Acorn FTP CD mirrors.
That's rather much older, although it seems to compile.
If I get problems I'll get one of my cable enabled friends to download
it for me.

> > the Netsurf Sourceforge stuff?
> Just tried it, worked with these settings

Yup, got the files from there.  Worked fine.

> I've put the headers and compiled library up at
> <http://www.strcprstskrzkrk.co.uk/netsurf/>. They're compiled using GCC, so
> should be compatible with Acorn C. Documentation is at
> <http://xmlsoft.org/> and <http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/>.

Well, I've been through something of a downloading and installing bonanza.
I've got the NetSurf sources, libcurl and libxml off the net,
Perl, OSLib 4.3 and UnixLib 3.7b off the AU programmer CD, and had a
go compiling it using Acorn C.

It *almost* works.  Everything compiles OK (with enough warnings
suppressed), but linking is a bit of a problem.

ARM Linker: (Error) Undefined symbol(s).
ARM Linker:     __assert, referred to from render.o.box.
ARM Linker:     atof, referred to from render.o.box.
ARM Linker:     __stdout, referred to from LIBXML:o.libxml(o).
ARM Linker:     snprintf, referred to from LIBXML:o.libxml(o).
ARM Linker:     __ctype_upper, referred to from LIBXML:o.libxml(o).
ARM Linker:     __stderr, referred to from LIBXML:o.libxml(o).
ARM Linker:     __stdin, referred to from LIBXML:o.libxml(o).
ARM Linker:     errno, referred to from LIBXML:o.libxml(o).
ARM Linker:     __umodsi3, referred to from LIBXML:o.libxml(o).
ARM Linker:     __divsi3, referred to from LIBXML:o.libxml(o).
ARM Linker:     vsnprintf, referred to from LIBXML:o.libxml(o).
ARM Linker: Errors in link, no output generated.
ARM Linker: finished,  12 informational, 0 warning and 1 error messages.

Similar errors were thrown up when linking with libcurl too.
I guess I need a more recent version of UnixLib.  I'll have a look
on riscos.info.

What are you using to produce libxml and libcurl with?

Sorry about all this hassle in getting going; it's tricky going
when I'm missing nearly every vital resource!  I've managed for
so long without recent versions of so much stuff, and have never
got around to using UnixLib, gcc, or anything, so I'm setting up
all this from scratch.

> Have you decided what you want to work on first?

What, apart from getting the thing to compile and run? :)
Without seeing what the current code actually does (I can kind of
tell what it's supposed to do, but I'd like to know quite how well
it does it) it's harder to say, but I'd like to work on getting
some RISC OSy display routines done, which will need some
font handling/mapping stuff too.

Phil.