[Netsurf-develop] Thoughts and planning

James Bursa bursa at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 30 23:09:59 BST 2002

In message <ef30495e4b%phil at mellor123.freeuk.com>
          Phil Mellor <phil at mellor123.freeuk.com> wrote:

> OK.  I have no idea what libcurl is (although I can make an
> educated guess, and when I connect to send this, I'll make an
> educated google search), but if you say it works, that's good
> enough for me.

Google should have found it, it's an HTTP library.

> Right ho.  So we need source or library conversion routines.
> The source for InterGif exists on the net; it might be worth
> contacting Peter if we can use it.  Or there's the FYEO2
> source code; FYEO multitasks when it's converting images, so it
> might be useful.
>
> Of course there are plenty of other things available, but InterGif
> and FYEO are probably already optimised for RISC OS usage, and
> convert to Sprites.

There's also source for Spr2Png available for converting PNGs, and I've got
some rendering code for PNGs around.

> Fair enough.  If you're looking for features that 'good' websites
> use, what about JavaScript? ;)

I guess we should keep it in mind, but it'll have to wait till later. I'm
most interested in getting good HTML 4 / CSS 2 support.

> > OSLib.
>
> OK.  That's another thing to dig through my CDs for.

<http://www.mk-net.demon.co.uk/oslib/630/>, but it's 900k, so try CD unless
it's a very old version.

> I think implementing UTF-8 is probably enough to be getting on with.
> Although any part of the program that uses text shouldn't assume it
> *will* be UTF-8, it needs to be future-proof.  Any time a string is
> passed, the encoding type should be too.

OK.

> The protocol shouldn't be NetSurf-centric.  It should be designed
> so that any browser could implement it.
>
> Hmmm... I like the sound of a URL like "wimp://Messenger/INBOX/64" !!!

I guess Messenger could implement a mini HTTP server or something.

> But let's have Draw export, just to tempt Oregano users.
> It might make printing easier too.

Yes, we should.

> Well... okay.  How will formatting HTML pages work when all the data
> hasn't been received yet?  Or is it easier to download the entire page,
> and then format it?  I guess the latter is easier. With the takeup
> of broadband, it's becoming less relevant anyway.

It would still be nice if they formatted as they download, but first I want
to get it working just downloading the entire page before formatting.

> Depends what computer you're running it on!
>
> What is the target machine/OS we're aiming for?  If I had a better
> computer I'd suggest RISC OS 3.6, since nice things like dynamic areas,
> deep sprites, and JPEG rendering can be assumed, but I've only got access
> to RISC OS 3.1,  so I'm recommending that!

Sure, I don't see why it shouldn't work on RISC OS 3.1. The compiled
program is already 500K though because of all the libraries, so I think we
should aim at 4M or more RAM.

> I've downloaded CVS, so I'll have a go using it later this evening.
> Are there any particular obscure magic runes I need to know for accessing
> the Netsurf Sourceforge stuff?

Just tried it, worked with these settings:

Transport: pserver
User: anonymous
Host: cvs.netsurf.sourceforge.net
Password: (none)
CVS Root: /cvsroot/netsurf
Repository: netsurf

> It would be helpful if you could upload the libxml and libcurl stuff,
> unless you know if they already exist on any AU CDs or anything.
> It probably makes sense for everybody to use the same versions of the
> libraries.

I've put the headers and compiled library up at
<http://www.strcprstskrzkrk.co.uk/netsurf/>. They're compiled using GCC, so
should be compatible with Acorn C. Documentation is at
<http://xmlsoft.org/> and <http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/>.

Have you decided what you want to work on first?

James