New textareas and text inputs

Chris Young chris.young at unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 23:39:30 GMT 2013


On 19 Feb 2013 18:39:40 +0000, Chris Young wrote:

> > > Any suggestions on how to work around this bug would be appreciated,
> > > as I have no idea how long it will take for a fix to be released.
> > 
> > UnixLib, the C (and more) runtime library used in the RISC OS NS build,
> > uses Doug Lea's malloc implementation (cfr. http://g.oswego.edu/dl/).
> > Perhaps that's an option for you.
> 
> That's what I was trying to link in as a replacement, but some
> libraries still seemed to be using the newlib one, hence freeing
> within NetSurf was crashing.  I'm wondering whether that is due to the
> lib in question being dynamically linked.  I'll have a play with my
> buildsystem and try again.

Actualy dlmalloc needs some work to actually allocate memory, which is
beyond my understanding, so I wrote something a bit simpler.

However, same problem.  It works fine if I replace all the textarea
internal malloc/realloc/free calls to use my functions, but a global
replacement of them isn't working for some reason.

I suspect crazy #ifdeffing of that file won't go down well, but I do
at least have a buildable version here that doesn't exhibit problems
after using a few textareas.

I'm toying with the idea of patching newlib.library, as convincing
either developers or betatesters that it has a problem is proving more
difficult than anticipated.  Might be a _very_ bad idea though - I'd
rather work around it in NetSurf as that has less wide-ranging
consequences.

Chris



More information about the netsurf-dev mailing list