Review: treeview-redux [6/7] -- Amiga frontend changes

Chris Young chris.young at unsatisfactorysoftware.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 19:10:59 BST 2010

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 22:48:22 +0100, John-Mark Bell wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-09-26 at 22:16 +0100, Chris Young wrote:
> > On 26 Sep 2010 22:04:54 +0100, Chris Young wrote:
> >
> > > 1. The hotlist fails to load/initialise.  I've checked and I have the
> > > initialisation steps.  It seems to have read about one entry and then
> > > given up, as (with the cancelling of a few errors) I ended up with a
> > > somewhat truncated (no entries at all - only folder stubs) version of
> > > my hotlist on disk (and no recent backup - my own fault, I should have
> > > learnt from last time I played with this code).  With no hotlist file
> > > NetSurf generates a new one correctly.  If other old hotlist files are
> > > recreating it.
> >
> > I've managed to reproduce this problem but letting NetSurf generate a

That should read "BY letting NetSurf"

> > new blank hotlist, creating a new folder (which incidentally I
> > can't rename) under the NetSurf-generated one, and then closing
> > NetSurf so it saves the hotlist.  The resulting file is attached.
>
> I assume that loading the hotlist you attached fails for you? It loads
> fine here, so I'm not quite sure I fully understand the problem.

No, sorry, the attached one loads fine - but only contains two folder
entries, even though this was a default NetSurf-created one with the
folder NetSurf and six entries, and an added Untitled folder.

The steps above result in the file I attached, rather than one with
all the entries in it.

I'm not explaining very well, so I've attached two files -
Copy_of_Hotlist is a working hotlist created with NetSurf-trunk, and
Hotlist is what it ends up like once treeview-redux has parsed and
resaved it.

I'm beginning to think this is heavily related to the unable to browse
issue.  The treeview branch did some kind of verification on hotlists
when it loaded them - if verifying typed URLs isn't working, then
maybe it is trashing all the links because it can't verify them?

Chris