Possible copyright infringement in your software distribution

Rob Kendrick rjek at netsurf-browser.org
Tue May 5 17:38:28 BST 2009

On Tue, 5 May 2009 17:30:49 +0100 (BST)
Chris Evans <chris at cjemicros.co.uk> wrote:

> >  Don't worry; there is
> > a trivial way to comply with the licence under which NetSurf was
> > distributed to you, and the original mail details this.
>
> There doesn't seem to be copy of the relevant document on the copy of
> A9home disc image we made at launch in 2006 (though we have no stock
> at present so can't confirm the current status) What makes you think
> it isn't there?

Because it isn't there on either of the two I have access to, and a
customer at the show said they don't recall it being there.

> Cutting out the middle man should also help ensure that things get
> done correctly first time. It also kills two birds with one stone as
> presumably a copy of the email sent to Matt originally.

Unfortunately, the middle man doesn't matter; you are obliged by the
licence agreement that you received NetSurf under to provide the licence
text and a written offer, as you are distributing it.  Simply putting
the licence text and the written offer on a bit of paper in the box is
sufficient for this.  (And actually keeping a copy of the source for
three years, of course.)

B.