Possible copyright infringement in your software distribution

Rob Kendrick rjek at netsurf-browser.org
Fri May 1 12:23:31 BST 2009

On Fri, 01 May 2009 12:12:16 +0100
R-Comp Interactive/RCI <rci at rcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <20090501113906.039c84ac at trite.i.flarn.net.i.flarn.net>
> you wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 01 May 2009 11:28:21 +0100
> > R-Comp Interactive/RCI <rci at rcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >> Thankyou for your information.
>
> > Hi,
>
> > Can I take this as being that you will from this point on include
> > written offers with the products that you sell?
>
> I believe that's what I said at the show!

Right, I just wanted to make sure :)

> Since there's a little space at the bottom of our printed welcome
> guides, I see no reason not to repeat your kindly-provided (and
> thankfully suscinct) paragraph there too :)

Cool.

> That said, under legal precedent (I was looking into this today for
> some other business), we're already doing so, since "in writing" has
> been extended to cover electronic text as well these days, so as long
> as the written (ie. text) offer is included (which it always has
> been), everything's hunkidory.

Indeed; GPLv3 mops up the ambiguity, but has a bundle of other new
problems.  Most companies upon taking legal advice choose to include a
physical written offer, because then there is no possible argument.
And of course, legal precedents only apply in the jurisdictions they
occur in.

B.