MorphOS Port of NetSurf - licencing issue

Ilkka Lehtoranta ilkleht at isoveli.org
Sat Jan 17 02:30:52 GMT 2009

On 15 Jan 2009, Chris Young wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 02:56:02 +0100 CET, François Revol wrote:
>
> > As to MorphOS, I'd think it'd be good to merge it with the AmigaOS port
> > and also support AROS if possible, by using 3.x calls by default and
> > optionally using specific calls.
>
> Well, good luck with that :)
>
> As I have not seen the MorphOS code I can't say for sure how viable it
> is, but Ilkka does say the OS4 port was used for "ideas".  MorphOS
> uses MUI for GUI construction, whereas OS4 using Reaction - so
> anything GUI-related would have had to be rewritten at least.  OS4
> also has MUI, but it isn't official and I'm never been that keen on it
> (and I have no idea how to program it).

There are also other differences. MorphOS version is using CGX for
plotters while OS4 version is using P96. Internally ports are completely
different. MorphOS version is multithreaded (GUI is running on another
thread than NetSurf engine is) so they have very little common. Merging is
not really possible and I do not reason to do so: OS4 uses Reaction GUI
and MorphOS version uses MUI GUI.

  Ilkka