Mike Lester's changes so far

Leon Stringer leon.stringer at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 16 21:04:35 BST 2008

Michael Drake wrote:
> In article <20080716171059.04993e70 at necrosis>,
>    Rob Kendrick <rjek at netsurf-browser.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:14:17 +0100
>> Michael Drake <tlsa at netsurf-browser.org> wrote:
>
>>> Preferences window
>>> ------------------
>>>
>>> + When "Simple proxy" is selected, the Username and Password fields
>>> should be grayed out.
>
>> My point of view is adding code to reduce functionality is a fool's
>> game, and thus I do not agree.
>
> My concern is based on the assumption that the username and password
> values are never sent if a "Simple proxy" is selected. If that is the case
> then if someone has "Simple proxy" selected and later need to give
> username and password details, they'll enter them and boggle why NetSurf
> isn't working.
>
> The title "Simple proxy" gives no indication that username and password
> aren't sent and the availability of those fields implies that they are. So
> it's really reducing ambiguity / increasing clarity that I was aiming for.

Absolutely. A user shouldn't have to know the difference between proxy
types, only that an NTLM (or other authentication system) proxy will
require credentials but a non-authenticating (i.e. "Simple") won't.

So it's not reducing functionality, it's reducing the cognitive burden
of the user by only asking them to make decisions that are relevant.