Access to www.bailii.org forbidden by web server

John-Mark Bell jmb at netsurf-browser.org
Tue Sep 25 15:37:01 BST 2007

Hello,

I believe you are the correct person to contact in relation to this query.
If not, please accept my apologies and forward the mail on to someone more
appropriate.

I am one of the developers of an Open-Source web browser called NetSurf
(http://www.netsurf-browser.org/) which is available for a minority
operating system, RISC OS, and also for Linux/BSD.

I have had a report from a user that they are currently unable to access
your website. Upon investigation, it would appear that your web server is
forbidding access (i.e. replying with an HTTP 403 response) to any user
agent which sends a User-Agent HTTP header containing the word "NetSurf"
(case insensitive).

Is there any reason for this to be the case and would it be possible for
this to be resolved?

Many thanks in anticipation of a prompt reply,

John.