[lowrisc-dev] Re: lowRISC kernel changes rebased over stock 4.19

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Oct 31 14:39:49 GMT 2018

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 2:32 PM Gabriel L. Somlo <gsomlo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to build the smallest CPU core that could still boot Linux
> (probably some form of rv32ima[c], maybe from Pulp), and needed to start
> with something that already works, understand it, and try to remove it
> and scale it down as far as possible. The opposite direction (start with
> a tiny core, and add things to it until it boots Linux) seemed like it
> had too many ways to go wrong, so I decided to try and scale *down*
> instead of *up* :)

 i concur that that is about the only sane approach that could be
considered.  going from "it works, let's change something and see if
it breaks" is dead simple.  whereas "it doesn't work, we have no idea
what to change, and even if we changed one thing, the probability of
any arbitrary small incremental change causing it to work is about
1e-20, so wtf are we doing / gonna doooo??" kiinda answers itself.

l.