[lowrisc-dev] building lowRISC binaries with current riscv-gnu-toolchain?

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 00:09:38 GMT 2018

>On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 07:25:59AM +0100, Dr Jonathan Kimmitt wrote:
>
>> Karsten, your feedback on the Debian-RISCV installation instructions would
>> be particularly welcome. Do you know when
>>
>> http://www.debianmirror.de/debian-ports/pool-riscv64/main/s/systemd/libudev1_238-2_riscv64.deb
>> http://www.debianmirror.de/debian-ports/pool-riscv64/main/s/systemd/libsystemd0_238-2_riscv64.deb
>> http://www.debianmirror.de/debian-ports/pool-riscv64/main/libf/libffi/libffi7_3.3~rc0-2~riscv64_riscv64.deb
>>
>> will be merged into sid ?
>
>For libudev1 and libsystemd0 the issue is largely a Debian-internal
>one.  Currently we run our riscv64 package builders in qemu VMs and
>those are comparatively slow.  The package sources for systemd and
>udev run a large number of tests during the package build and some
>of those run into timeouts on our build hosts due to the slow
>emulation.  We have a patch to solve this issue, but it hasn't yet
>been accepted by the systemd/udev maintainers, and before that
>happens, we cannot get libudev1 and libsystemd0 into sid.  I hope
>that this will get resolved within the next weeks; you can follow
>the current status in the Debian bug tracking system at
>https://bugs.debian.org/906429.

For libudev1 and libsystemd0, coming both from the "systemd" package,
our patch has been accepted today and the binary packages just built
unmodified for the first time:

  https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=systemd&arch=riscv64

They should be available in the mirrors within hours.

>For libffi, it depends on when upstream releases a new version.
>Libffi6 doesn't have support for the RISC-V architecture; libffi7
>has RISC-V support, but hasn't yet had an official upstream
>release, which would be the prerequisite for getting it into sid.

Yeah, last remaining blocker...

--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo at gmail.com>