[lowrisc-dev] boot linux directly from DDR, (no sdcard)

Dr Jonathan Kimmitt jrrk2 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 20 09:10:46 GMT 2018

Yes, it's possible but you need to bear in mind the FPGA bitstream has
to come from somewhere.

If you use QSPI for the bitstream, you would have to offset the address
of the kernel when you access

it from the bootloader. The Vivado QSPI IP gives access to flash from
software but I don't know if it supports

every kind of QSPI that could be installed on the board. If you try to
access it from your own hardware design

you will have to deal with the problem of the configuration pins being
shared with user pins.

It's all doable but you need to be persistent and have an enquiring
attitude to chase down the different issues.

If you have a tool which generates the .bin files that Xilinx require,
this can be used to piggyback any binary file
using the .incbin function of the assembler. The boot loader would then
have to be modified to read the ELF header
of the loaded .bin file and find the section which was piggybacked.