[lowrisc-dev] boot linux directly from DDR, (no sdcard)

Dr Jonathan Kimmitt jrrk2 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 19 10:39:52 GMT 2018

It's possible to change the base address of RAM in Linux from 0x80000000
but this

has an impact on page tables, Berkeley boot loader, spike simulator and
chisel etc.

You might find it easier to modify your custom AXI interface address if
that is possible.

Alternatively if you have dynamic memory on board your card, you could
adapt the Xilinx MIG config

to use this memory and save the overhead of the custom AXI interface.
Most cards come

with an example MIG config to reduce the burden of setting all the
parameters correctly.

If you want to have a go at changing the kernel address, you need to be
aware that it is BBL that loads
at 0x80000000 and not the kernel itself. Typically the kernel address
will be loaded at the next megapage
which is typically 0x80200000. And the kernel never accesses this
address because it runs in supervisor mode
which sets the kernel address to 0xffffffff80000000 using the MMU. If
you change the base address you need
to make sure any calculations involving BBL address or MMU page tables
are corrected. All very simple NOT!