[lowrisc-dev] boot linux directly from DDR, (no sdcard)

Anup Kini anupkini at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 06:57:37 GMT 2018

Hi All,

I am trying to boot linux on lowRISC using a custom Virtex-7 board.
Unfortunately, the SD card interface has some issues and I am unable to use
it.

I was able to bring up the lowRISC design and run hello world and dram test
successfully.
Since, I do not have the SD Card, I tried to load the BBL directly on to
DDR using the custom AXI interface provided by the board vendor.
It loads successfully and a few debug prints from the BBL also show up on
the UART terminal. I had to modify the boot.c code inorder to get this
working.

Going forward, I was curious to know if I can load the vmlinux and root.bin
also to DDR and boot linux.
I understand that the base address for vmlinux is fixed to
0x80000000+OFFSET.
Will it be possible for me to change this and boot linux directly from DDR ?

Thanks & Regards,
Anup Kini.