[lowrisc-dev] need help with dram test - untether - v0.2

Dr Jonathan Kimmitt jrrk2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 31 12:52:57 GMT 2018

The hello world test uses only internal block ram. So not much to go wrong.

As soon as you exercise DDR memory, the processor will hang if the AXI
bus does

not respond. The situation is complicated by the presence of caching
which might mean

you don't see the problem straight away.

I suggest you run the DRAM example design that comes with MIG generator
(right click on the MIG IP in Vivado and use 'Open IP example design')
to prove that
your MIG settings are correct. This can be done in simulation and the
real FPGA.

If it passes the Vivado example design, it is a simple matter to capture
the settings in
mig_config.prj for lowrisc. Also pay attention to any interface signals
that might be different
in that version of the MIG IP.

There may also be a pre-configured MIG project for your board on the
manufacturer's website already
for comparison. Also check your board revision, sometimes the DDR chip
changes between revisions
and this could require MIG settings file to be changed.