[lowrisc-dev] Will lowRISC participate in GSoC 2018?

Denis Obrezkov denisobrezkov at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 14:10:36 GMT 2018

> On 20 January 2018 at 12:54, Denis Obrezkov <denisobrezkov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > will lowRISC participate in GSoC 2018?
> >
> > I have an idea of porting xen or kvm on lowRISC. What do you think about it?
>
> Hi Denis, thanks for getting in touch. GSoC 2018 is at the stage where
> organisations are putting together their applications, and will later
> find out if they will be participating or not.
>
> We're currently weighing up what to do with GSoC this year. It's a
> fantastic program which we've got a lot out of, but it takes a huge
> time commitment to ensure that the participants have a good
> experience. It's possible that we skip applying for GSoC 2018 and come
> back renewed and refreshed for GSoC 2019.
>
> One of the challenges of porting Xen/KVM to RISC-V/lowRISC would be
> that the hypervisor spec is not yet finalised and so isn't yet
> supported in HDL implementations. You'd probably be best of pursuing
> such a project using a software simulator such as Spike or QEMU.
>
> Best,
>
> Alex

Hi, Alex,

thank you for your response. Anyway, I will try to do my best if there
is a possibility to port xen or kvm on spike. I know that it won't be
easy, so I want to start to prepare ASAP. On the other hand, I have
some previous experience with RISC-V:
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2017/projects/4780624749527040/

P.S. It was such a pity for me that no one took the DMA-related
project during GSoC 2017.

--
Regards, Denis Obrezkov