[lowrisc-dev] Will lowRISC participate in GSoC 2018?

Alex Bradbury asb at asbradbury.org
Mon Jan 22 13:06:38 GMT 2018

On 20 January 2018 at 12:54, Denis Obrezkov <denisobrezkov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> will lowRISC participate in GSoC 2018?
>
> I have an idea of porting xen or kvm on lowRISC. What do you think about it?

Hi Denis, thanks for getting in touch. GSoC 2018 is at the stage where
organisations are putting together their applications, and will later
find out if they will be participating or not.

We're currently weighing up what to do with GSoC this year. It's a
fantastic program which we've got a lot out of, but it takes a huge
time commitment to ensure that the participants have a good
experience. It's possible that we skip applying for GSoC 2018 and come
back renewed and refreshed for GSoC 2019.

One of the challenges of porting Xen/KVM to RISC-V/lowRISC would be
that the hypervisor spec is not yet finalised and so isn't yet
supported in HDL implementations. You'd probably be best of pursuing
such a project using a software simulator such as Spike or QEMU.