[lowrisc-dev] What do you use Debian for (in lowrisc)?

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 11:55:37 GMT 2018

Hi,

>Debootstrap only uses packages from unstable so it cannot pull in
>glibc 2.28 and stops with the error listed above.  One of
>Debian's glibc maintainers (in CC) is working on the glibc 2.28
>package to make it build cleanly for riscv64, so this problem
>will hopefully be resolved in the near future.

Yes.  From what I remember, part of the reason why glibc 2.28 is not in
the unstable archive "proper" is because of failures in glibc's test
suite, which are really caused by the Linux kernel not cleaning up
properly the state of FP registers between processes.  So they detect
"real" problems :)

Aurélien submitted a patch for it earlier this month to linux-riscv
mailing lists, which hasn't got any replies yet:

  http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-riscv/2018-December/002512.html

Not sure if he's waiting for a resolution to this problem.

The alternative is either retry building and see if in one occasion it
builds fine and the tests pass due to "luck", and the new version gets
added to the archive; or to disable these tests selectively (if
feasible), or disable the test suite completely for riscv64.  In general
we avoided to do the latter, since it helped to find other real problems
also in the past.

Happy New Year/Holidays/etc :)

--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo at gmail.com>