[lowrisc-dev] What do you use Debian for (in lowrisc)?

Karsten Merker merker at debian.org
Fri Dec 28 11:30:46 GMT 2018

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 10:02:25AM +0000, Dr Jonathan Kimmitt wrote:
> Dear Manuel,
>
> Have a prosperous New Year. I tried your latest Debian instructions today
> but there is
>
> still a bootstrap fail due to libudev.so.1 being linked against
>
> /lib/riscv64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28'.

Hello,

this is unfortunately the result of a recent glibc transition
from 2.27 to 2.28 on Debian's release architectures.  For riscv64
we still have glibc 2.27 in unstable; glibc 2.28 is only
available in unreleased because the unmodified glibc 2.28 package
currently doesn't build cleanly on riscv64 platforms without
manual intervention, so it cannot yet go into unstable.

The problem described above now comes up because the buildds
(which continuously build newly uploaded packages) pull dependencies
for package builds from both unstable and unreleased, and the
higher version "wins", which in this case is glibc 2.28.

Debootstrap only uses packages from unstable so it cannot pull in
glibc 2.28 and stops with the error listed above.  One of
Debian's glibc maintainers (in CC) is working on the glibc 2.28
package to make it build cleanly for riscv64, so this problem
will hopefully be resolved in the near future.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der