[lowrisc-dev] What do you use Debian for (in lowrisc)?

Karsten Merker merker at debian.org
Tue Dec 11 22:30:26 GMT 2018

On Wed, Nov 07, 2018 at 11:47:25PM +0100, Karsten Merker wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2018 at 05:39:12PM +0000, Dr Jonathan Kimmitt wrote:
>
> > Right now the unstable build is broken since the release due to
> > isc-dhcp-server dependencies.
>
> I've just taken a look at the isc-dhcp-client breakage - it looks
> like we have a combination of multiple issues here:
>
> Isc-dhcp uses components from bind9, but bind9 has recently had
> an ABI bump that has resulted in changes in the binary package
> names.  The existing isc-dhcp-client binary package still
> references the old-ABI bind9 component, which isn't a problem for
> architectures in the main Debian archive because the archive
> software used there handles that gracefully and keeps the old
> binary package until the last reverse-dependency has been
> replaced.  The Debian ports archive uses a different (and a lot
> simpler) archive software that doesn't handle this in the same
> way, which has resulted in the old-ABI bind9 component being
> removed from the archive.  Normally that could be easily resolved
> by re-building isc-dhcp against the new ABI, but I've just tried
> that and the source doesn't build cleanly in a current build
> environment (not only on riscv64 but also on other
> architectures).  This needs some further investigation and might
> take a bit of time.

Hello,

I just wanted to provide a short status update:

- The aforementioned issue has been resolved by packaging a new
  upstream version of isc-dhcp which builds cleanly in a current
  environment. It should be available in the archive within the
  next days.

- There are some positive news regarding libffi: We now have a
  backport of the RISC-V support from libffi7 to libffi6 and are
  working on removing all dependencies on libffi7 from the archive.
  This requires re-building quite a number of packages, which
  will take some time and cause some packages to be temporarily
  uninstallable during the transition, but once the transition is
  complete, it should be possible to use debootstrap without any
  further manual intervention.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der