[lowrisc-dev] Re: Debian GNU/Linux port for RISC-V 64-bit (riscv64) in Debian infrastructure (debian-ports)

Karsten Merker merker at debian.org
Tue Apr 3 23:08:54 BST 2018

On Tue, Apr 03, 2018 at 11:46:09AM -0700, wesley at sifive.com wrote:

[Debian riscv64 port in Debian-Ports]
> I was trying to debootstrap this port but it does not install libraries,
> including libc6. Is this a known issue? How can I get a root filesystem out
> of the repository?

Hello,

this is currently one of the known issues. The background for that is
slightly complicated:

- Debootstrap supports only one suite as its source.

- The Debian riscv64 packages are currently split over two suites
  within the Debian-Ports archive: "unstable" and "unreleased".

  The "unstable" suite can only contain binary packages that are
  built from unmodified sources from the main Debian archive,
  i.e. it includes those packages for which either no
  RISC-V-specific patches have been necessary or for which such
  patches have already been included in the primary (i.e.
  non-ports) archive.

  The "unreleased" suite contains (source and corresponding
  binary) packages which include RISC-V-specific patches that
  have not yet been included into the package sources in the
  primary (i.e. non-ports) archive.  In Debian, the maintainer
  of each package in principle has the authority over "his"
  packages and decides which patches get included when, and that
  sometimes takes a while, so not all patches that we have
  supplied have already been included in the package sources in
  the primary, non-ports archive.  There is the possibility of
  doing "Non-Maintainer Uploads" (NMUs) to the primary archive,
  but that is somewhat of a method of last resort and requires a
  rather longish procedure that is usually only invoked if the
  package maintainer is inactive for a really prolonged period of
  time.

  Unfortunately glibc is one of the packages in "unreleased".  In
  this case the reason is not maintainer inactivity, but a rather
  unfortunate infrastructure issue.  If somebody should be
  interested in the details, those can be seen in the Debian bug
  tracking system at

  We hope to get this issue resolved soon.

We are working on providing an easy way to build a rootfs from
the ports archive despite these issues, but that will take a bit
of time.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der