[lowrisc-dev] Debian GNU/Linux port for RISC-V 64-bit (riscv64) in Debian infrastructure (debian-ports)

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 03:44:29 BST 2018

Hello,

(My apologies if I post repeated information, I didn't have much time
available lately to follow all the mailing lists that I am subscribed
to).

We've been working in the last few weeks to do a (second) boostrap of
Debian for RISC-V, and after a few weeks of hard work it is now
bootstrapped and has been imported into the Debian infrastructure, in
particular, debian-ports (* description below).

All packages that are uploaded to the archive by any of the
hundreds/thousands of contributors are attempted to be built for each
one of the architectures/ABIs almost immediately, so having "riscv64"
as a Debian architecture is a quite critical step.

This means that, from now on, anybody can download .deb packages
targetted for riscv64 (rv64gc, to be precise) which compile
successfuly, often only a few hours after being uploaded to the
archive (as long as their build-dependencies are satisfied).  You can
download them from here:

  https://deb.debian.org/debian-ports/pool-riscv64/main/

  (We will attempt to provide more ready-to-use system images in the future).

One can follow the progress of this architecture (>4k packages, or
~30% of the arch-dependent packages, built successfully by now) from:

  https://buildd.debian.org/status/architecture.php?a=riscv64&suite=sid

And from here one can see the detailed output of all the compilations
of gcc-8 or nethack (only 1 version of each so far), to compare with
previous builds or versions, or with other distributions:

  https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=gcc-8&ver=8-20180331-1&arch=riscv64

  clicking on the link of the "result" column:
    https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=gcc-8&arch=riscv64&ver=8-20180331-1&stamp=1522626639&raw=0

  https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=nethack&arch=riscv64

  clicking on the link of the "result" column:
    https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=nethack&arch=riscv64&ver=3.6.0-4&stamp=1522496765&raw=0

So we hope that this is a valuable resource, and that it helps to
continue the development of RISC-V hardware, and that you can run it
on your devices in the near future ;-)

More background info about the process, if interested:

  https://people.debian.org/~mafm/posts/2018/20180402_debian-gnulinux-port-for-risc-v-64-bit-riscv64-in-debian-infrastructure-debian-ports/

Cheers.

(*) In Debian, "ports" are different ABI targets (sometimes they
evolve slightly over the years, like "i386", upgrading the baseline
ISA).  Those which are well established and have good support of
hardware, several developers behind and can keep up with building the
archive successfully, are designed as the main ones (amd64/x86_64,
arm64/-hf/-el, ppc64el, s390x, several mips*).

Those which are still "in the nursery" or do not have good support for
being old or similar reasons (sparc64, m68k, alpha) are in what's
known as "debian-ports", which means architectures/ABIs which are not
supported for the full lifetime of stable realeases, they cannot
compile 90% of the archive, etc.  They can lag behind in building
packages, without delaying or harming the main supported architectures
-- that's the main reason to have this separation.

--
Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo <manuel.montezelo at gmail.com>