[lowrisc-dev] Support for Fedora / compressed extension

Karsten Merker merker at debian.org
Sun Apr 1 21:57:53 BST 2018

On Sun, Apr 01, 2018 at 09:31:16PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> Hi, I was going to try v0.5 on my Nexys 4 DDR.  However I believe
> that this version doesn't support the Compressed extension.  I
> disassembled the sample bbl and there are no short instructions.
> Is support for the C extension available and/or planned?

Hello,

AFAIK the lowRISC 0.5 release uses an older version of the rocket
core without C support and still at priv-1.9.1 (according to the
table at http://www.lowrisc.org/docs/ethernet-v0.5/).  AIUI, the
latter means that Fedora wouldn't run even when compiled without
C instructions as mainline glibc requires at least kernel 4.15
and kernel 4.15 to the best of my knowledge requires
priv-1.10-compatible hardware.

Somebody mentioned before that there are plans to move lowRISC to
a priv-1.10-compliant version of rocket but without mentioning an
estimated timeframe, so I would like to use this opportunity to
ask on the list what the plans in this regard look like.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der