[lowrisc-dev] Re: [sw-dev] RISC-V LLVM status update

Alex Bradbury asb at asbradbury.org
Tue Sep 19 11:43:26 BST 2017

On 19 September 2017 at 10:49, Shiva Chen <shiva0217 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> This is Shiva. I work with Kito as one of the main Andes developers for LLVM.
>
> Thanks for your great effort for riscv backend which makes it easy for
> every interested party to follow and extend.
> Following your code base, we started our porting.
> For accelerating llvm riscv backend development, we think it's a good
> time to integrate our code base.
>
> We would like to start from the implementation of RV32 C extension
> mentioned in the issue list:
> https://github.com/lowRISC/riscv-llvm/issues
> We'll prepare patch set as the upstreaming standard requires and
> definitely need your review to make the code quality better.

Fantastic! I'm really glad Andes are starting to join the upstream
RISC-V LLVM effort.

> We plan to contribute our patchset to riscv-llvm-integration repo.
> But it seems that the riscv-llvm-integration repo is not the latest
> code base available in
> https://github.com/lowRISC/riscv-llvm,  where our porting started.
> Is there any reason why they are different? If not,
> would you mind updating riscv-llvm-integration repo ?

I was actually going to make a slight change in approach for the
llvm-integration repo, motivated by the desire from you (Andes) to
work on top of an LLVM 5.0 base. There are advantages and
disadvantages to this, but I'd really like to minimise the number of
different trees we all have to contend with. Therefore I'm going to
set up a riscv-llvm-integration branch based on 5.0 and make that the
new default. I'll push it later today - it will take a little while to
compile-test each commit and I've got a meeting soon which is going to
take up some of my time. In the meantime, you should be able to work
against a tree with the lowrisc/riscv-llvm patches applied, and your
work can be trivially transplanted as soon as I push the new branch.

Even though we hope this work on the compressed instruction set should
be merged relatively quickly, I'd really recommend trying to keep your
commit history clean and making use of git rebase as you develop - it
will make it much easier to update the code if there are any other
changes in lib/Target/RISCV.