[lowrisc-dev] Porting TileLink2 to LowRISC

Sean Halle seanhalle at intensivate.com
Sun Jun 25 11:03:28 BST 2017

I think the crux of this is whether the idea of merging Berkeley code into
LowRISC is realistic or not..  it seems like a very large amount of work?
Do I have that right?  For example, might it even be easier be to simply
restart with the current Rocket repo and redo the integration work, rather
then trying to weed through all the merge conflicts..?  Or, do I
misunderstand the effort involved?

If that is the case, that the effort of a merge is prohibitive, and as a
result LowRISC never actually merge Berkeley code back in, then we would be
fine..  we port TL2 once, and then mainstream it into LowRISC, and there's
no more effort after that.  At least as long as that version is good
enough, then there is no strong reason to update it.

Has there been any discussion about the likelihood and timing of updating
LowRISC to the new Berkeley style of things?  We have some evidence that
the new Berkeley style is less modular, and has a steeper learning curve
than the July 2016 version of the code.  We chose LowRISC in part for this
reason -- the older style is simpler, easier for us to get up and running.

Thanks,

Sean
Intensivate

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*: This e-mail and its attachments contain
information which is confidential. It's use is strictly limited to the
stated intent of the provider and is only for the intended recipient(s). If
the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the employee,
agent or representative responsible for delivering the e-mail to the
distribution, copying or other use of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please reply immediately to the
sender. Thank you.

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 2:44 AM, Stefan Wallentowitz <stefan at wallentowitz.de