[lowrisc-dev] Porting TileLink2 to LowRISC

Sean Halle seanhalle at intensivate.com
Sat Jun 24 21:16:08 BST 2017

Hello,

   Thanks for LowRISC and this community.  I am writing with a question
about porting and upstreaming to the LowRISC distro.  Some background on
the question -- we are producing a high performance low power processor
core -- 30% higher performance than Xeon E5-4667 core, at around 100x lower
power.  Based on this, our server replaces 60 Intel based servers on
compute intensive tasks, while costing 6 times less and consuming 25 times
less electricity.

   As part of this, we have been approached by a potential partner who has
processor optimization technology.  They want to cut a deal with us, to use
their system.  However, their system relies upon TileLink2.

   The issue is that we are based on LowRISC and plan to continue with the
LowRISC distribution to the end.

   So, as a compromise they are proposing to port TileLink2 to LowRISC.
The question we have for the list is what do people think about the porting
and then upstreaming?  If we resolve the Chisel2 vs Chisel3 part, then
would it be a viable option for them to send a pull request and have the
port become a permanent part of the LowRISC distro?

Thanks for all you do,

Sean
Intensivate
http://intensivate.com

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*: This e-mail and its attachments contain
information which is confidential. It's use is strictly limited to the
stated intent of the provider and is only for the intended recipient(s). If
the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the employee,
agent or representative responsible for delivering the e-mail to the
distribution, copying or other use of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please reply immediately to the
sender. Thank you.