[lowrisc-dev] Nexys debug communication

Dr Jonathan Kimmitt jrrk2 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Jun 18 08:44:19 BST 2017

Dear all,
  Vivado keeps coming up as a bottleneck. Have you considered the no Vivado solution, making use of the SVF conversion facilities of 2016.x onwards Vivado? That way one C program could look after the JTAG aspect as well as any second port that was available. I have extracted the relevant code from OPENOCD and it looks straightforward to add custom code for whatever purpose. Of course any code that makes decisions on the basis of JTAG values read out will impact performance (but not configuration time which is about 4s for a nexys4ddr).

I have been using this for a few weeks without physically connecting Vivado to a board, and it seems OK. You can even talk to multiple boards simultaneously from one PC.

Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone