Fwd: Re: [lowrisc-dev] FPGA Recommendation

Wei Song ws327 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 9 16:08:41 BST 2017

Forget to cc mail-list.  -Wei

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [lowrisc-dev] FPGA Recommendation
Date: 	Fri, 9 Jun 2017 16:07:15 +0100
From: 	Wei Song <ws327 at cam.ac.uk>
To: 	Tobias Strauch <tobias at cloudx.cc>

So here is a list of boards we support right now:

tagged-memory-v0.1:     ZedBoard (obsolete)
untether-v0.2:          Nexys4-DDR / KC705
debug-v0.3:             Nexys4-DDR / Zedboard (need a USBUART Pmod)
minion-v0.4:            Nexys4-DDR

We still want to keep using Nexys4-DDR due to its low price.
Honest speaking, it becomes difficult as the LUT consumption is around
90% for minion-v0.4 (one rocket + one PULP).

Jonathan has tried the Nexys-Video board but with issues in UART and
QSPI Flash if I remember it right.

VC707 or KC705 is too expensive for most people, so even if we support
it, another low-cost board should be chosen as well.

Hopefully there is no need to change in the near future; however, if we
must, I do not have a clear answer right now.

-Wei