Fwd: [lowrisc-dev] Multiple Rockets and Minions memory hierarchy

Dr Jonathan Kimmitt jrrk2 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 1 08:59:01 BST 2017

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for that reference. I was not aware of the DPTI example,
however it seems

to be quite specific to a certain peripheral of the Nexys-Video. As we
are a small team

there is a certain overhead in board specific solutions which we wish to
avoid if possible

in favour of largely board independent techniques. In particular we have
found it to be a

great nuisance if a certain solution disables Vivado access to the JTAG
port due to a peripheral

chip changing modes, as seems to be the case here. I also investigated
the Nexys-Video gigabit Ethernet

library from Alex Forencich. I was able to get it going on an ultrascale
VCU108 board but not the Nexys-Video. Perhaps

my board is faulty but I do not have a second example to try at the
moment. I have noticed that the

latest version of OpenOCD support Nexys4-DDR via the Digilent JTAG
adaptor, I don't know if the

same is true of the Nexys-Video because this part of the schematic is
closed source. As well as being

open source this software seems to be streets ahead of Digilent's own
library in performance, so I am

now investigating whether this would make a good debugging solution for
the raqnge of boards that we support.

Regards,

Jonathan