[lowrisc-dev] Ethernet support for lowrisc

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Dec 18 07:11:49 GMT 2017

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 6:45 AM, Dr Jonathan Kimmitt <jrrk2 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Jawad,
>   This is something several people have been asking for and indeed there is an ethernet-v0.5 branch with a preliminary version of this functionality. There is no documentation yet but you can consult the archives of this mailing list for preliminary instructions. It won’t affect you I don’t think but the release and documentation is delayed until some issues with license compatibility are resolved. By the way there are some generic instructions on our website as to how to add peripherals which you may care to review for learning purposes.

 ok so this stuff is slightly hard to find: google "add peripheral
site:lowrisc.org" the only useful thing that came up was:

 http://www.lowrisc.org/docs/untether-v0.2/

 all other references were to RISC-V conference proceedings.

 starting from here:
 http://www.lowrisc.org/docs/

 ah ha!  ok so there's an example with a minion core (aka "state
machine") that can handle SD card reading:
 http://www.lowrisc.org/docs/minion-v0.4/

 so that looks like a good starting point.  on here:
 http://www.lowrisc.org/docs/minion-v0.4/overview/

 it's describing how the minion core (ak "state machine") is based on
pulpino, and it can be seen in the diagram how that the bus connecting
the two is AXI.

 ok.

 so, jawad, that would be a good starting point.  you'd be able to
examine that, and work from there to add an ethernet AXI hard macro to
that bus.

l.